Your Guide to Social Media Enlightenment – From Trending Topics to Innovative Startups

What to Do If Your Klout Score Drops

How to raise your Klout score | Social Media Blog

Just when the wild world of the social media scene was just starting to make sense, Klout changes its algorithms for measuring online influence.

Now what? Take a deep breathe in and watch this funny video about Klout for a little comic relief.

Cute, but now back to reality. You might have just read an article about how Nobody Gives A Damn About Your Klout Score or think you don’t care about Klout. I understand if you don’t care, but many do.

If a significant amount of people really didn’t care about Klout as a measure of their online influence, you would not see a response of such magnitude.

Reality is that, even though this measure has its faults, its been one of, if not the most accepted way to measure online influence to date.

Whether you’re a student striving to get an A+ in history class or a president trying to get the most votes, it’s in our genetic make-up to use markers to not only gauge how well you’re doing something, but to use it as a way of letting others know how well they have done in the relation to you.

Image representing Klout as depicted in CrunchBase

Image via CrunchBase

Okay, where does this leave us? Should you scramble to see what the social gurus de jour have to say and then form your opinion? This may sounds a trifle anti-climatic, but you could visit Klout’s article about the new More Accurate, Transparent Klout Score and decide for yourself.

The article states that a “majority of users will see their Scores stay the same or go up.” Generally speaking, what I’ve seen is the reverse of this happening to my score and those within my network. That gets tossed out.

Okay, I noticed that the people Klout now suggests are in my influence network by my score makes more sense. Many are people I’ve connected with extensively or the web and / or in person.

That’s one for against and one for Klout.

Klout states they will “provide insights into why someone Klout is increasing or decreasing.” You can track why your Klout score has gone up or down by looking at the breakdown of scores and related graphs, except one big thing–and here’s the kicker–the drop in Klout has not been reflected in many people’s graphs!

This is enough for me to take Klout with a grain of salt and only use it as one measure of online success, but an important measure nonetheless. Klout may just be getting closer to measuring actual online influence, so they are very much a company to keep a close eye on.

I will continue to perform activities that common sense suggests will have a positive effect on my online influence.

Please chime in. Has there been a recent and significant change in your Klout score? Do you trust Klout as a credible measure of one’s online influence?

Enhanced by ZemantaPhoto credit: Fadzly Mubin

14 Responses to this post.

1. Devadeva Mirel's Gravatar

Posted by Devadeva Mirel on 27.10.11 at 9:55 am

My Klout took a huge loss but my “real reach” is up 1.5K. I don’t understand.

2. Anonymous's Gravatar

Posted by Anonymous on 27.10.11 at 9:55 am

ya my klout dropped from 66 down to 51. and it says i no longer influence, the people that I actually have the MOST influence on. I dont trust the scores, but its a fun tool to play with. (@ty_frank)

3. Tiffany Swartz's Gravatar

Posted by Tiffany Swartz on 27.10.11 at 9:55 am

I hear that! My score dropped from 57 down to a staggering 48. However, my true reach sky-rocketed. Weird how they measure, but I guess it is something to keep track of and hopefully figure out how to raise the darn thing… @tiffenator

4. Tracy Shaffer's Gravatar

Posted by Tracy Shaffer on 27.10.11 at 9:55 am

My Klout score dropped as well. I didn’t give it much credence as they’d previously had me as influential about shoes, teeth and beer.  Now, I do love a good pair of heels and I floss regularly, but beer? Haven’t touched it since a Dodgers/Mets game in the late 80s. I measure my online influence in two ways. 1. The people I meet and converse with, sharing our disparate worlds with wit, wisdom and candor.
    2. Does it bring me business?
    If Klout wants to algorithm me, categorize me and judge my influence, fine. But I left high school years ago. So why don’t I close my account? For the same reasons I accept friend request from my hs alumni.

5. Shannon ~MilkandCuddles~'s Gravatar

Posted by Shannon ~MilkandCuddles~ on 27.10.11 at 9:55 am

We are discussing this too. I’m pretty disgusted that they didn’t try to at least bridge old and new scores better. For those that actually get business based on such measures- this is a real blow.
    We are talking about this @ momLoop too…

6. Anonymous's Gravatar

Posted by Anonymous on 27.10.11 at 9:55 am

Hi, this has happened to a lot of people’s Klout score. You’re not alone in feeling confused.

It’s possible (meaning I’m guessing here, because Klout has not effectively communicated an answer to this question), that although your real reach is up, other factors that measure your online influence has taken a hit, so much so that it has effected your overall score.

Klout needs to communicate more effectively moving forward. You can access more details about the changes at, but it doesn’t account for changes to score, like yours (any many others) in a clear way.

Thank you for dropping by. :0)

7. Anonymous's Gravatar

Posted by Anonymous on 27.10.11 at 9:55 am

I feel your pain! I was celebrating breaking 60 for the first time then my score plummeted to 48 as well.

I immediately contacted Klout thinking there was some sort of glitch in the system. Klout’s reply didn’t seem customized, but gave me an example of why a Klout score might fall by stating “if I rarely like or comment on anyone’s posts, but choose to do so to yours, that is more meaningful than if I like 60 posts a day. For users whose engagement primarily comes from others with high activity, you may see a drop in your Score.”

Hope that helps a bit!

8. Anonymous's Gravatar

Posted by Anonymous on 27.10.11 at 9:55 am

Ha, ha, ha. :0)

Funny stories like this are not uncommon, yet many people are okay with the measurement having some flaws & still buy into Klout’s credibility overall.

Thank you for adding value to my post & for the chuckle!

9. Anonymous's Gravatar

Posted by Anonymous on 27.10.11 at 9:55 am

Hi Shannon, I agree. Many people could have benefited from a more gradual change to the new way of measuring Klout to give people a chance to change their online behavior.

Yes, many people greatly depend on having a high Klout score for the success of their business. This has been a blow to many people, myself included.

Perhaps with the advent of Klout Perks, accuracy is integral for companies to be sure they are giving away their product to those that can potentially drive sales their way. Klout wants to keep these businesses happy.

Thank you for sharing!

10. Vicky Soderberg's Gravatar

Posted by Vicky Soderberg on 27.10.11 at 9:55 am

My observation within my network has been that those who are active on their personal Facebook and rarely Tweet went up and those who Tweet and are retweeted frequently and do not connect their personal Facebook went down. Odd that something that requires Twitter appears to give it less emphasis.

Obviously, there are still some kinks to be worked out and I feel sorry for the folks whose business credibility or job have been impacted.  Let’s all try to see it for what it is – one of many tools that attempt to quantify influence without the ability to see the whole picture.

11. Anonymous's Gravatar

Posted by Anonymous on 27.10.11 at 9:55 am

Ah, very interesting! That would make sense in my circles as well, hmm.

Great point! It is one of many tools.

Thank you for contributing to this post!

12. How is your credit score, no wait I mean #Klout score? « Cantankerous Gentlemen's Gravatar

[...] What to Do If Your Klout Score Drops ( [...]

13. Corrinla Biber's Gravatar

Posted by Corrinla Biber on 27.10.11 at 9:55 am

Many are people I’ve connected with extensively or the web and / or in person.

14. Lisa Ladrido's Gravatar

Posted by Lisa Ladrido on 27.10.11 at 9:55 am

Love the video! My score dropped significantly.  However, I was out of commission and wasn’t doing much online influencing I suppose! Netflix was getting most of my attention and then there was that Fairy Tale Wedding….! I do love getting those packages from the UPS man though! Even that dropper full of hair gel! @LisaLadrido:twitter

Respond to this post