Your Guide to Social Media Enlightenment – From Trending Topics to Innovative Startups

Ahead, warp factor 6!!

How to Blog Successfully | Social Media BlogRemember the days of playing Pac Man on your Commodore 64? Sigh. Those were simpler times. Yes, I had a pager longer then was deemed cool and I was admittedly one of the last of my friends to join Facebook. That said, like many people today, I’m trying to keep abreast of what is going on in the world of technology to stay competitive in the workforce. I have jumped on the preverbal technological bandwagon, hee, haw! I’m stumbling my way through a complicated web of technology that is constantly in a state of flux. I want to take you on my ongoing journey and would love to hear feedback on your adventures in using technology!! Be brave, my fellow tech-warriors!! Ahead, warp factor 6!!

12 Responses to this post.

1. It’s just a web site man!'s Gravatar

Posted by It's just a web site man! on 01.08.11 at 2:00 am

Interesting that you mention technology. I am in the industry – a programmer. Technology has been a part of my life since high school, when I first learned to write simple programs using the BASIC programming language. Through most of my twenties and thirties, I thought I would always be abreast of the latest technology, that I would always be on the “bleeding edge” as they say.

However, I can tell you that as I get older, it becomes more and more difficult. It seems like technology is moving faster and faster, and I can’t keep up. I thought I would never be saying that, but here I am.

There is a book I read as a teenager by Alvin Toffler called Future Shock. He talks about how technology will continue to advance exponentially and those that cannot keep up will be left behind, eventually unable to function in society. It was obviously ahead of its time.

2. squarebrackets's Gravatar

Posted by squarebrackets on 01.08.11 at 2:00 am

I am often told that I was born 20 years too late because of my fondness for film photography and using the darkroom. Thank you for the comment on my blog, was quite surprised to get a comment back considering the amount of comments you had on you last post (:

3. aucunknowntruths's Gravatar

Posted by aucunknowntruths on 01.08.11 at 2:00 am

Heh Laura,

So my foray into technology has basically been the blog I am working on. I’m not going to lie, I tried facebook once but I really didn’t like being out there with little privacy, non-university people using it and the amount of messages asking me if I was Common Name person they knew from High School. Outside that, social media is a brand new area for me. I am having troubles currently with the blog posting pages underneath another (like posts on my main page). I’ve have little idea on how to make my blog popular, outside tips like yours, so its all a very ‘live and learn’ experience right now. On a unrelated note, I learned what ‘trolls’ are and it seems the term refers to angry or nonsensical forum posters. If only there was a lexicon for all these terms, alas. Best wishes and may you be at peace.

4. Johnny's Gravatar

Posted by Johnny on 01.08.11 at 2:00 am

I read about “RockMelt” last night and am in a bit of a shock. I hope it’s not the future of the web.

5. Loren's Gravatar

Posted by Loren on 01.08.11 at 2:00 am

I am going to attempt to keep up with reading your blog. I am in the automotive and truck repair field and since 1980 working on cars with electronic engine control. I had some interest in computers, but working on cars sparked my interested in computers and technology. I am nearing 50 years old and bathing in technology because of my interest. From my monster computer I built, to my HTC Titl 2 phone, my Samsung TV and Blu Ray Player hooked to DOCSIS 3 internet, my Wii hooke up for online game playing, DISH networked hook up to the internet. Sometimes I worry that I am too connected. LOL Looking forward to what you run into.

6. Teresa's Gravatar

Posted by Teresa on 01.08.11 at 2:00 am

Hi, I think I’m a little too old to be using hightech stuff like computers, digital cameras etc. Usually I let my children handle those things for me. But after reading you blog, I felt very happy. Your positive way of thinking has given me hope and because of that I’ll try to keep up with today’s technology.

7. Robin's Gravatar

Posted by Robin on 01.08.11 at 2:00 am

Hello I’m a first year high school student and I wanted to be a computer programmer in the future. It would be amazing to create your own application and your own games. I know it’s easier said than done. But just like you said, be brave my fellow tech warriors!

8. lauraleewalker's Gravatar

Posted by lauraleewalker on 01.08.11 at 2:00 am

Glad to hear here it! Feel free to subscribe to my blog. This will help you learn more about social media. Best of luck!

9. lauraleewalker's Gravatar

Posted by lauraleewalker on 01.08.11 at 2:00 am

Thank you for contributing. I would love to hear about your own adventures / experiences with apps and creating games in the future. Keep in touch! Good luck.

10. Charles's Gravatar

Posted by Charles on 01.08.11 at 2:00 am

I still remember when my dad bought me my first computer. I think I was in 6th grade at that time. And The first thing I did was play Warcraft 3 all day. Back then I use to draw using pencil and crayons but with the use of my computer and Photoshop, It made things much easier. So yeah keeping up with current technology is not so bad afterall.

11. lauraleewalker's Gravatar

Posted by lauraleewalker on 01.08.11 at 2:00 am

Thank you for your input. I’m currently taking a course about PhotoShop and it makes me understand how certain things are possible in the print world. Drop in again. Cheers!

12. Monica's Gravatar

Posted by Monica on 01.08.11 at 2:00 am

Technology is one thing which has the very nature of advancement.It will get improved and complicated with the time.There is nothing which runs without technology , say it T.V , computer , microwave oven,ATM machines,cellphones etc are all created technically and these things are getting advanced with time.I think you will love the below mentioned test!!lol
    The Technical Skills Test
    Find out if you have a ‘feel’ for mechanical and technical things.

Respond to this post