I remember back in the day when phones were only meant for calling, texting and taking photos. Times are a changin. Now there are new ways to physically interact with your phone. Sure you can use your phone as a bar code scanner, flashlight and compass, but I’m talking more hands on here.
1. Shake your phone. There are many apps that involve shaking your phone. Urban Spoon is an app that lets you choose a restaurant to visit in your area by shaking your phone. This triggers a wheel that spins to your suggested restaurant. The Shake Them All! Live Wallpaper inspires users to interact with Androids. The Androids respond to gravity, light, sounds and yes, touching and shaking your phone. Why? Because it can.
2. Put your finger on your camera. There are even more reasons to get up close and personal with your phone. Instant Heart Rate is a heart rate monitor. After 10 seconds of touching your camera, your current heart rate is displayed.
3. Gently caress your phone. The Talking Tom Cat purrs when you pet it. As an aside, the cat also repeats what you say in a funny voice and you can poke and punch him.
4. Wave your phone back and forth. Lightsword Lite allows you to simulate using a light saber via relevant sounds, colours and vibration.
5. Bump phones together. Bump lets you share contacts, apps and photos by bumping two phone together.
6. Make your phone vibrate courtesy of Good Vibrations. Enough said.
What stands out for me is how advanced phones can be and the calibre and possibilities of what phones and apps can do in the future.
Now, I turn to you dear reader. What are some unusual ways people can interact with their phone?