Your Guide to Social Media Enlightenment – From Trending Topics to Innovative Startups

How do you promote your blog?

marketing your blog | Social Media BlogYou've written your blog post and your feeling pretty darn good about it. The potential is there to reach others, to interact and help shape the views of people within your field of interest. How do you share your insight with the world? I use the following social media platforms:

My dear reader, I’m passing the metaphorical talking stick on to you. How do you promote your blog? Which platforms have given you the most traffic?

Photo credit: webtreats

Enhanced by Zemanta

22 Responses to this post.

1. Dave's Gravatar

Posted by Dave on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

Thank you for the helpful post. I suppose you make your Delicious and other bookmarks public – or this wouldn’t work. My goal for 2011 is to start video blogging.

2. Dave's Gravatar

Posted by Dave on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

Oh – one other thing. I email my brothers, sisters and parents and beg them to visit my blog. If that doesn’t work – and it doesn’t, I guilt them, and threaten them if they don’t. If my mom won’t read it, who else would?

3. lauraleewalker's Gravatar

Posted by lauraleewalker on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, bookmarks need to be set to public. Most are automatically set to public. Delicious “bookmarks saved with your buttons are public by default” http://www.delicious.com/help/faq.

Generally speaking, although I post to both YouTube and MetaCafe, my videos get more hits on MetaCafe. Good luck with your video blogging!

4. lauraleewalker's Gravatar

Posted by lauraleewalker on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

Ha, ha! My mom was the first person to comment on my blog. She signed the post with her name instead of ‘mom’. I think she wanted to make it look like someone unbiased was expressing interest in my blog. It was really quite sweet of her. I responded by thanking her and identifying her as my mother. After all, transparency is really important. ;0)

5. Dado Moura's Gravatar

Posted by Dado Moura on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

In Brazil I have more traffic from Twitter and Facebook (most popular). I have already tried Digg but it didnt bring me good result. I believe it was because I write, mostly,in Portuguese.

bye for now

Dado Moura

6. lauraleewalker's Gravatar

Posted by lauraleewalker on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

Thank you for contributing and bringing up the issue of language and how it influences the types of social media networks we choose.

7. Lissa's Gravatar

Posted by Lissa on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

I use twitter and facebook, I also put my blog on sites that I joined (Like gaiaonline, deviantart, etc

8. lauraleewalker's Gravatar

Posted by lauraleewalker on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

Thanks for your post. I wasn’t familiar with deviantART and Gaia Online until now. They are interesting sites and I know some people that would like to frequent those sites, so thank you for sharing.

9. bbrian017's Gravatar

Posted by bbrian017 on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

Oh Laura-Lee it’s such a pleasure meeting you. I’m really happy you found the blogengage community it’s always nice getting new members that are cool people. When marketing my blog I use blogengage, twitter, facebook and that’s about it. I try to stick to a few websites and maximize the usage from each one of them.

10. lauraleewalker's Gravatar

Posted by lauraleewalker on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

Thank you for adding value to this discussion. Yes, I’m definitely going to keep my eye on Blog Engage moving forward.

You bring up an important topic about the number of virtual communities someone can manage at once. I think what is important is what virtual communities your target audience is using and to what extent they are using these platforms. Answers to these questions will determine how you choose to leverage your presence across social networks.

11. bbrian017's Gravatar

Posted by bbrian017 on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

We here’s the thing, I’m actually a social junkie and I’m a members at many websites. I’m at amplify, mybloglog, blogcatalog, digg, reddit, twitter, facebook, mix, serpd, mmosocialnetwork, chatbox and some others. It got to the point where I was seeing little return from each. That is when I decided to dedicate my time online to the ones I enjoyed the most.

12. lauraleewalker's Gravatar

Posted by lauraleewalker on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

Makes perfect sense. It also brings up the challenge of deciding if and how social media can be used to benefit a company. Should every company integrate social media tools as a part of their strategic marketing campaigns to be successful?

13. bbrian017's Gravatar

Posted by bbrian017 on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

I would say yes. My company has no interest in marketing online. I have suggested many of our options yet we continue in our old path. Don’t get me wrong we are a successful company but I’m sure if we started using social media marketing and all the other online marketing opportunities we would have more interest and sales would be better.

We would have an increase in SE traffic and that alone would return targeted traffic for our products and services.

To answer the question I say yes all companies should be taking advantage of this marketing median it has great potential.

14. lauraleewalker's Gravatar

Posted by lauraleewalker on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

Thank you for your continued feedback. I agree social media does have great potential and is very relevant.

I think there is varying degrees that companies can benefit from social media marketing depending on the nature of their business. For example, a local company that sells doors face-to-face may not benefit from a Facebook Fan Page as much as Coke does. Every company does not need to be on Facebook and might find other social media platforms, such as LinkedIn or industry forums, more profitable.

You bring up another important question of companies that do not see the benefits of social media. The issue often become how to sell social media. This article does an excellent job of helping employees sell social media to the higher ups.

Best of luck! Keep in touch.

15. Em-shazzam!'s Gravatar

Posted by Em-shazzam! on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

Hi Lauralee
    I don’t have many visitors to my site but it’s a niche interest (roller derby). I’ve generated valuable subscribers by commenting on other people’s derby-related blogs. I search frequently for derby related sites and my contributions occassionally lead people back to my site :)

16. Little Johnny's Gravatar

Posted by Little Johnny on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

This is soooo true. I was going to post this myself but see it already hear. My blob is kind of under cover. I wanted to see how fast it could grow organically based on the subject. So I didn’t tell anyone. Then I told a few friends and asked them to read it share it. I got a few more hits but nothing big. Friends read it, think its kind of cool but, it goes as far as if I asked them to donate money to my personal vacation fund, i.e NOWHERE! So far Facebook seems to be the largest source for hits. I have FREINDED “cause” pages that are similar to my topic. Twitter, not much at all.

17. Christmas Gift EXTRA Posting « I am Little Johnny's Gravatar

Posted by Christmas Gift EXTRA Posting « I am Little Johnny on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

[...] Laura Lee Walker Blogging Tips [...]

18. Little Johnny's Gravatar

Posted by Little Johnny on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

bbrian.

10 years or so ago, companies had a hard time swallowing the idea that they need a full-time “website person.” Now most, or at least the smart ones, have someone doing this full time. The social media MAY be useful for MOST companies. However, they have to dedicate the resources to it and right now, there aren’t good statistics on ROI for the small to medium sized businesses in social media. I like social media but not sure its a RIGHT FIT for everyone.

19. lauraleewalker's Gravatar

Posted by lauraleewalker on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

Thank you for stopping by and sharing. Best of luck!

20. Little Johnny's Gravatar

Posted by Little Johnny on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

Well… I have used some of Laura’s tips BUT I think I have created my OWN blog buz: http://iamlittlejohnny.com/2011/01/21/holly-madison-engaged/

21. Dianne's Gravatar

Posted by Dianne on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

I recommend Youtube and Facebook to promote blogs because it’s user friendly. And it is much easier to keep track on things. My family has a small store and when we first started only few people know it. But when I contacted my friends and other people online, It became more well known and now we have more customers.

22. lauraleewalker's Gravatar

Posted by lauraleewalker on 03.12.10 at 7:47 am

Thank you for contributing to my post. I’m glad you’ve had some luck using YouTube and Facebook. Best of luck promoting your store in the future!

Respond to this post