If you have your own blog or plan on creating your own blog this topic is likely to make you perk up a bit in your seat and lean in. Go ahead. If you also happen to author a blog about social media, then you might start salivating. I’m drooling. This could get messy folks.
Social Media Examiner http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com has been an ongoing reliable source for me when it comes to anything related to social media under-the-sun and the post on the website called 5 Ways to Make Your Blog Posts Outstanding has been no exception, so I felt inspired to recommend the link on Delicious. tip my hat to the author Jeff Korhan whose work as a professional consultant and columnist on new media and small business marketing has no doubt paid off.
The long-and-short of the article is that there are five main ways to be able to make blog posts that are worthy of being called ‘outstanding’. Following these rules will also greatly increase your chances of being the subject of blog envy.
1. Has an Engaging Title. Develop a catchy phrase that peaks your reader’s curiosity. Perhaps the article responds to a specific need, such as “3 Ways to Achieve Explosive Blog Growth” or “How to Use Delicious: The King of Social Bookmarking”.
In addition to the tips mentioned in the article, I find that blog posts that have the following characteristics tend to inspire me to click on them to learn more about the topic:
- Offers a list of specific points, such as “10 Methods of…” or “3 Ways to Master…”. This gives the reader a feeling that the article is well structured, easy to read / navigate and is split up into digestible pieces.
- Gets to the point / concise
- Fairly short
- Unconventional / unique
- Targets to your audience
- Asks a thought-provoking question
2. Offers Easy to Consume Content. Organize your content with your reader in mind by effectively using subheadings, lists, italics and bold text.
3. Mixes Content Types. Use images, video, links to your research, etc. to break up your text and make your post look more inviting to read / watch.
4. Is Search Engine Optimized. Include customized excerpts, which is a brief description that is included with the return of search results. Use keywords that your readers would use to look for your post. Write kick ass content that will inspire others to link to your blog.
5. Encourages Interaction and Action. You want visitors to comment and you want to learn from their comments. You can show readers how to comment (i.e., graphically through screenshots) on your blog.
I now turn my metaphorical spotlight onto you, my dear reader. What other points can you add to this article? Could you elaborate on any of the points?